Managing Longleaf Pine for Ecological Benefits
Full event information: https://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/sites/pronr/event/workshop-on-managing-lon...
Please join us at the Aberdeen Recreation Center on May 3rd to hear expert speakers on pine silviculture and forest management share their knowledge through presentations and handouts. Exhibitors with additional literature and resources will be on hand. Field tours will complement workshop presentations and will highlight management techniques supportive of plant and wildlife habitat in longleaf pine forests. This event features Guild members Dave Halley and David Schnake.
Tentative Agenda (Speakers and tour locations still being finalized)
8:45 am – Registration
9:15 am – Introduction to Longleaf Pine – Brady Beck, NC Wildlife Resource Commission
9:30 am – 10:15 am – Managing Longleaf Pine for Ecological Benefits I
- Using Prescribed Fire for Understory – Jimmy Dodson, NC State Parks
- Uneven-age Stand Management of Longleaf Pine – David Halley, True North
10:30 am – 11:00 am – Landowner Resources
- Introduction of Services Available to Landowners
- Exhibits open
11:15 am – 12:00 pm – Managing Longleaf Pine for Ecological Benefits II
- Herbicides and Wildlife Management – Bill Pickens, NC Forest Service
- Managing Pine Straw for Income & Wildlife – David Schnake, NC Dept. of Ag & CS
12:15 pm – 1:00 pm – Lunch (provided) and ample time for landowners to network with professionals & exhibitors
1:15 pm – 4:00 pm – Field Tour (transportation provided).
- Low Impact Straw Raking
- Managing Longleaf for Income and Wildlife
- Uneven-age Management of Longleaf
4:00 pm (estimate) – Return
- News & Events
- Our Work
- Join Us
- About Us
- Youth Corps
Your gift promotes ecologically, economically, and socially responsible forestry.
Please support the Forest Stewards Guild